March 21, 2011

Island Life

In all my many trips to Ibiza over the years, I never saw anything like this and I'm gutted. But perhaps I was otherwise engaged. Ahem...


Turns out it's traditional for Balearic women to attend local dances sporting 'emprendada', or jewellery that has been passed down through the generations.

The pile-it-all-on approach to wearing jewellery has long been on of my favourite looks although til now I'd limited myself to a handful of rings, a pair of earrings and a couple of bangles for fear of appearing OTT.

Having chanced across this amazing photo I feel inspired to take things to the next level. Living, as I do, in bling-loving South London I predict no-one'll even bat an eyelid.

Photo: Carmen Redonodo, 2003. Taken from Jewellery by Jack Ogden

1 comment:

  1. What a lovely tradition! I love learning about how jewelry is incorporated into different cultures around the world. :)

    ReplyDelete